image processing source code

George Vondassow dassow at u.washington.edu
Tue Mar 21 15:35:33 EST 1995

Hi,

I recently got a book that you might appreciate... it's called "Image
Processing in C" and was written by Dwayne Phillips and published by R & D
publications, Inc. of Lawrence, Kansas.  The book is based on articles
published (I think) in the C User's Journal, and they describe a general
image processing system that runs on a 286 and is written for Microsoft C
v. 6.  This is not that important... I am teaching myself C and C++ on a
Mac and a Sun, and I have been using this book to teach me about basic
image processing tasks regardless of any particular platform.  Some
chapters are PC-specific; e.g. the chapter on VGA graphics.  However, most
are quite general, and the book includes a useful tutorial on reading and
writing TIFF files.  Also included are chapters on edge detection, spatial
filtering, segmentation, overlays, and much more.  It's not the most
complete or the most advanced book by any means, but I am getting a lot
out of it as a beginner.

 - George von Dassow