High School Biology Project?

Thomas F Collura PhD. tom at ccfadm.eeg.ccf.org
Thu Mar 23 13:22:29 EST 1995

I judged high school projects for a few years.  My favorite one
was where a student got some cooperative parents to stay up
all night playing monopoly, and the "experimental" group
took a lot of no-doz, the "control" group did not.  The
student then took their pulse, pupil diameters, and a few
other things every 1/2 hour.  The study showed that the
no-doz'd parents were significantly more nervous, etc.
They also made general observations, e.g. speech patterns,
laughing, whatever.

Well, you may not want to do this, but it was pretty funny.

Another nice project was to put out bird food of different
colors, and using bird feeders of different colors, and
the birds were very preferential in what they would eat.
A nice proof that birds have color vision, and use it!

Joel Papak (jpapak at panda.uiowa.edu) wrote:
:   I am a junior in an Advanced Honors Biology class at my high school,

: and for the thrid trimester, we are supposed to do student

: research projects. Our teachers is very open to ideas and will

: let us do anything connected with biology. My question is,

: what should I do?

:   Since this is only in high school, we do not have a lot of

: equipment to work with, but my teacher will order supplies

: that we need. We have about 40 school days to work with, but

: the project certainly doesn't have to take up that much time.

:   Preferably, I would like a project that is both educationa

: and exciting, and definetly not tedious. I would be especially

: interested in a project that was related to computers. If

: anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would really apprecite

: hearing them. Thank you.

: If you have any ideas, please mail me at jpapak at lust.isca.uiowa.edu