ANNOUNCE: Pratt - finding flexible patterns in unaligned protein sequences

Peter Rice pmr at unst.sanger.ac.uk
Mon Mar 27 09:05:49 EST 1995

In article <1995Mar24.161103 at ebi.ac.uk> omond at ebi.ac.uk (Roy Omond) writes:
>   In article <3ks4t2$sj1 at due.uninett.no>, inge at lind.ii.uib.no (Inge Jonassen)
>   writes:
>   > The program has been implemnted in ANSI C. It has been compiled and
>   > run on different UNIX workstations, DEC Alpha, Sun, Silicon Graphics.
>
>	   Since it's been written in ANSI C (thanks, Inge !), it will also run
>	   perfectly well on VMS using DEC C.  Wouldn't it be nice if all software
>	   developers would actually use standards like ANSI C ?

Those of use who combine ANSI C with FORTRAN 77 still seem to have problems
persuading our applications to build on VMS after developing on Unix.
(Yes, I know FORTRAN 77 is no longer the standard, but we are talking VAXen
here and they won't get f90 :-)

Not to mention all those applications from VMS that don't build on Unix
because of mixed case file names, dependence on multiple file versions,
and so on.

No Roy!!! Don't!!! I asked you "not to mention..."

Peter Rice                           | Informatics Division
E-mail: pmr at sanger.ac.uk             | The Sanger Centre
Tel: (44) 1223 494967                | Hinxton Hall, Hinxton,
Fax: (44) 1223 494919                | Cambs, CB10 1RQ