DNA Strider (more tips & tricks)

Peter Uetz uetz at embl-heidelberg.de
Tue Mar 28 11:46:58 EST 1995

s.faruque at miranda.umds.ac.uk (Mr SMNN Faruque) writes:

> The only problem arises with the fact that I want 2 RE libraries, one for
> all the enzymes in the freezer and one for all those we could buy if
> needed.

There is a simple solution to this:
Just label all the enzymes you have (in the RELIBRARY file) with an
asterisk (*) for example. Thus 1 file will suffice.

More features in Strider Graphic Maps:
You canYou can mader drawing additional features in its graphic
restriction maps by simply defining these as additional enzymes.
For instance, the first and last 12 bases of the beta-lactamase
ORF could be defined as enzymes (call them ATG-amp or the like)
and Strider will display where the ORF is.

Edit Strider Graphic output:
If you want to edit Strider graphics, you can copy and paste
them into other graphics software, e.g. Canvas. There you can
color, for instance, ORFs by applying the arc tool (press SHIFT)
for drawing circle segments. Not as elegant as with Plasmid artist
but using the advantages of Strider.

If you have other non-documented tips & tricks for the DNA Strider,
please report them in this group or send them to me. I will try to
give a summary then.

Peter

UETZ at EMBL-Heidelberg.de