Looking for Windows286 software.

Tim Cutts tjrc1 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 29 03:01:51 EST 1995

jpuffer at Direct.CA (John Puffer) writes:

>Yes, the subject pretty much sums it up.  A really old fella that I know
>has a 286 and has heard that he can run an old copy of Windows
>know as Windows286.  Is or was there ever such a product and if
>so where can I get my hands on it??

Yes, there was.  Windows 286 is the same thing as Windows 2.03.
Microsoft renamed it when they brought out Windows 386 (which was
Windows 2 with a Windows 3-like ability to run DOS programs better).

However, the Windows 2 interface is horrible, and you really don't
want it.  I doubt there are *any* Windows 2 programs around any more
and Windows 3 programs will *not* run on it.  The last version of Word
for Windows to run under Windows 2.x was Word 1.1, so you know how old
it is!

If your friend has a 286, he should run Windows 3.1 on it like
everyone else.  Windows 286, despite its name, does not really take
advantage of the 286 processor.  Windows 3.x does.  If your friend has
at least 2Mb of RAM, Windows 3.x should be tolerable, as long as he
doesn't try to run any really huge modern Windows programs in it.  I
ran Windows 3.1 for a couple of years on a 12MHz 286 with 2Mb and
later 4Mb RAM.

Here's the bottom line:  forget Windows 286.  It went obsolete in
1990 with the release of Windows 3.0, and Windows 3.1 will make much
better use of his computer than Windows 286 will.  Besides, I think
you'd find it pretty hard to get hold of Windows 286 now... I deleted
my copy years ago.

Regards,

Tim.