Looking for Windows286 software.

Paul Gallivan gallivan at ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 29 08:18:58 EST 1995

In <3lb45f$ha3 at lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk> tjrc1 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk (Tim Cutts)
writes:

>jpuffer at Direct.CA (John Puffer) writes:
>
>>Yes, the subject pretty much sums it up.  A really old fella that I
know
>>has a 286 and has heard that he can run an old copy of Windows
>>know as Windows286.  Is or was there ever such a product and if
>>so where can I get my hands on it??
>
>Yes, there was.  Windows 286 is the same thing as Windows 2.03.
>Microsoft renamed it when they brought out Windows 386 (which was
>Windows 2 with a Windows 3-like ability to run DOS programs better).
>
>However, the Windows 2 interface is horrible, and you really don't
>want it.  I doubt there are *any* Windows 2 programs around any more
>and Windows 3 programs will *not* run on it.  The last version of Word
>for Windows to run under Windows 2.x was Word 1.1, so you know how old
>it is!
>
>If your friend has a 286, he should run Windows 3.1 on it like
>everyone else.  Windows 286, despite its name, does not really take
>advantage of the 286 processor.  Windows 3.x does.  If your friend has
>at least 2Mb of RAM, Windows 3.x should be tolerable, as long as he
>doesn't try to run any really huge modern Windows programs in it.  I
>ran Windows 3.1 for a couple of years on a 12MHz 286 with 2Mb and
>later 4Mb RAM.
>
>Here's the bottom line:  forget Windows 286.  It went obsolete in
>1990 with the release of Windows 3.0, and Windows 3.1 will make much
>better use of his computer than Windows 286 will.  Besides, I think
>you'd find it pretty hard to get hold of Windows 286 now... I deleted
>my copy years ago.
>
>Regards,
>
>Tim.

I concur with Tim. I ran Windows 3.1 on a 286/16mhz machine for a year
and a half. It will only run in standard mode (ie: no multitasking) and
I suggest running any dos programs from DOS (not DOS window). I also
suggest trying to have at least 4 meg ram on the machine, otherwise
you'll be waiting forever for stuff to load.

BTW, I've got the manuals for Windows286, although I've erased the disks
and used them for other crap. :)

| Paul Gallivan   email to:                       |
| Nerds-R-Us            paul.gallivan at lcabin.com  |
| Oakland, CA           gallivan at ix.netcom.com    |
| I use to have control of my life,               |
|           now my son Max controls it!    :)     |