Fragment assembly question

Peter Myler mylerpj at u.washington.edu
Fri Mar 31 12:56:59 EST 1995

On 30 Mar 1995, J. Logan Black wrote:

> Hello
>
>  Are there any fragment assembly programs available for PC other than
> netting into GCG somewhere?  Maybe I am dense but GCG is awkward
> and I would like to find a better way.  When  assembling a big project GCG is
>  too difficult to use.  Also what is the best protein software available for PC.
>  I need to convert DNA/RNA to protein and analyze the protein for MW and
>  other characteristics.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Logan

Logan:

DNASTAR provides a very good sequencing fragment assembly program
(SEQMAN), but is expensive.  DNAMAN also has a program, but I haven't
used it yet ( I have a demo version).  GENERUNNER promises to have one
soon, as well.  These programs will all do the basic protein analyses you
want, to greater or lesser extents.  I have yet to find a single program
which will do everything I want, so I generally switch betweenb several
(including GCG), which is a bit of a pain.

Good luck

Peter

Peter J. Myler                                 phone: (206) 284-8846x332
Seattle Biomedical Research Institute          FAX: (206) 284-0313
4 Nickerson Street                             e-mail: MYLERPJ at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Seattle, WA  98109-1651