DNA ML Questions

Robert Rumpf rumpf.1 at osu.edu
Mon May 1 16:18:00 EST 1995

We've been using Fast DNAml to do some phylogenetic trees and have some
general questions about ML algorithms in general:  Is it necessary to
bootstrap ML trees, since the ML algorithm is in itself a statistical
procedure?  Also, should we expect bootstrap values to be inherently lower
with the ML algorithm (as opposed to parsimony or distance methods)?
We've run trees on a various data sets of 37 taxa with over 2000
characters and found that the ML algorithm consistently gives us MUCH
lower bootstrap values...thanks for any and all help!

Bob Rumpf (rumpf.1 at osu.edu) OSU Molecular Genetics: "We MAKE Friends"
 ***   Magic:  The Gathering:  It's not just a hobby anymore... ***