FastA Software

Bill Pearson wrp at
Thu May 18 19:48:26 EST 1995

In article <Pine.A32.3.91j.950518110738.57992A-100000 at>,
Douglas Spicer  <recips at> wrote:
>Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the FASTA alignment software?
>Is it public, shareware?
>Finding an FTP site with it would be ideal!!!
>Thanx for any suggestions.

	Unix, Mac, and DOS versions of FASTA can be downloaded from ( in the directory: pub/fasta.
The latest version for Unix and the Mac is fasta20x.shar(.Z)
(fasta20x.cpe.bin for Mac).

	The current version (2.0x) of FASTA performs dramatically better
than earlier versions and provides accurate statistical estimates for
similarity scores.

	Fasta is not public domain; it can be downloaded and used but
not redistributed without permission.

Bill Pearson
wrp at virginia.EDU
Dept. of Biochemistry #440