"The Scientist" is looking for the best freeware and shareware

Keith Robison robison at nucleus.harvard.edu
Thu May 25 13:32:18 EST 1995

Robert Finn (finn at netcom.com) wrote:

: For an article in "The Scientist" I am looking for suggestions for the best
: freeware and shareware programs of special interest to life scientists.  I'm
: looking for everything from statistics packages to molecular modeling to
: sequence matching, etc.  Please post here or send me e-mail describing
: your favorite freeware and shareware, where to obtain it, and why it's so
: great.  I'm also looking for suggestions for the best sites on the Internet
: to obtain science-related software.

My current fave:
RasMol -- just simply amazing its free.  A very good bare-bones
3D structure viewer, available for PCs, Macs, and UNIX boxes.
Great for impressing visitors et al.

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI