Win95 references prog: excellent!

BIOCHEMISTRY.COM jquinn at shellx.best.com
Fri Nov 17 19:46:18 EST 1995

My thanks to all who took the trouble to answer my previous question
about a good windows95 program for references. The best one that I have
had a chance to check out has been from Tim Cutts, who has produced the
excellent 'REFS' program. The Win95 version ( a beta version) of his Win
3.1 version, is not crippled in any way, but becomes 'knagware' after 30
days. He has priced it at $55, and it's worth every penny. You can check
Tim's page on the REFS program at:

http://chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk:81/refs/refs.html

Several of the programs fell down for me because of the need for an 'add
on' to import references automatically, which in a scientific context is
surely the most usual way the people build up a database (eg. from a
medline or cc search). For personal use, Reference Manager would need to
be priced a third of it's current price to be even remotely attractive to
many academics. Others seemed to lack a friendly/ergonomic user
interface, which is not trivial.

Well, my 2 cents worth!