Strain Database Software

Marty Lee mlee at darwin.genetics.washington.edu
Tue Oct 3 19:47:48 EST 1995

Howdy,

    I'm writing from a lab specializing in streptococcus pathogenesis,
and we have been freezing away wild type isolates, various mutants,
transformants, etc for some time.  We would like to keep track of these
strains using either the Sun machines, (Unix), or on our Macs.  We have
looked into using dBase under Unix, but after getting into the nitty
gritty it appears that dBase is quite a bog.  I've previously used
Filemaker Pro.  That was easy but has all the limitations of a flat file
manager.

    Does anybody know of a good strain database system?

    Please e-mail me (at the following address) and I will post the
results in a weeks time.  Thanks much,

 Marty Lee
 mlee at sol.chmc.org                (or)
 mlee at genetics.washington.edu