DNA Format Conversion

Joe Felsenstein joe at evolution.genetics.washington.edu
Sat Oct 7 23:26:21 EST 1995

In article <4566t1$gpu at winx03.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>,
Cornelius Krasel <krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:
>David Frederiksen (David_Frederiksen at ums.supernet.ab.ca) wrote:
>>   Can anyone direct me to some MAC software that will convert Gene Bank
>> formats to Phylip formats?  I will use what ever is available ... anything
>> but long hand transposition.
>
>I think Don Gilbert has a Mac port of his Unix program readseq available
>at ftp.bio.indiana.edu.

Before goiing straight from GENBANK files to PHYLIP, you ought to align
the sequences first, with something like ClustalW.  Otherwise PHYLIP
will be casually assuming that site 1 of one sequence is aligned with
site 1 of annother.

-----
Joe Felsenstein         joe at genetics.washington.edu     (IP No. 128.95.12.41)