BLAST/FASTA search of a specific sequence

Frederic PLEWNIAK plewniak at
Tue Oct 17 10:13:04 EST 1995

In article <Andy.Law-1610951734030001 at> Andy Law,
Andy.Law at writes:
> >  What I want to do is search all 6 possible orfs of specific
> >  with a very short peptide sequence (6 - 10 aa in length).  The
> >  sequences are the complete sequences of human herpesviruses, each
one is
> >  >150,000 bp in size.
> >
>FINDPATTERNS ?? If I understand your requirements correctly
Not exactly... FINDPATTERNS (GCG package) doesn't search nucleotide
translated "on the fly" in all 6 frames for a peptidic pattern...
But it doesn't actually need complex modifications of the source to
change it into
TFINDPATTERNS which does exactly that...
It doesn't do the preselection of human herpesviruses complete genomes as
SRSFASTA though ;o) ...

Frederic Plewniak
plewniak at