program Ligand

Mike Kennedy kennedym at
Thu Oct 19 10:58:18 EST 1995

In article <3085553D.604C at>, Tibor Szentendrei
<szentendrei at> wrote:

> The LIGAND program package is available with manual at no charge
> from Dr. P.J. Munson at NIH, Bldg. 10, Room 6C101, Bethesda, MD
> 20892, USA. You have to specify which version (IBM-PC, DEC, VAX
> or Macintosh) you need, and have to sign a licence agreement.
> They normally do not distribute the source code. I do not know
> about any source on the Internet.
> Hope this helps.
> Dr. Tibor Szentendrei, (szentendrei at

Ligand is NOT freeware anymore.  I recently sent a request to Dr. Munson's
group and received a reply from a former employee of his stating that
Ligand is now a commercial entity, of which he is the recipient of any
proceeds.  It strikes me as odd that a program developed with taxpayer
funds is now being sold commercially for >$200.  There are, however, older
versions of Ligand on various servers that are still avalible for use at
no charge.  Unfortunately, you have to pay for the newest version.

Mike Kennedy
Dept. Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
Mayo Foundation
(kennedym at   "See this quarter?  It used to be a nickel!"