WWW site that draws molecules

Alan Hewat hewat at ill.fr
Thu Oct 26 02:41:12 EST 1995

In article <46m5te$98i at decaxp.harvard.edu>
jburk at scws41.harvard.edu (Justin Burk) writes:

> About a year ago, I found a web site that could draw molecules on
> request, i.e. you could tell it to draw chicken muscle pyruvate kinase or
> whatever and it would send a picture to you, and then you could tell it
> to rotate it and stuff.  But I can't find it anymore.  If anyone knows
> where it is, please send me the URL.  Thanks.

Probably it runs Rasmol or Xmol to produce a GIF picture that can then be
displayed on your WWW reader.  That's a bit old hat. You would do better to
install Rasmol on your own machine, which would allow you to draw the
structure locally in interactive 3D.  See http://www.pdb.bnl.gov/ to start.

The new VRML format (Virtual Reality Modelling Language) is an interesting
alternative.  See the pointers on the WWW URL below.

Alan Hewat, ILL Grenoble, FRANCE (hewat at ill.fr) fax (33) 76.48.39.06
ftp://ftp.ill.fr/pub/dif          http://www.ill.fr/dif/welcome.html