plant roots

Jeff Schloss schloss at
Sat Sep 2 01:11:18 EST 1995

> >We want to quantify (lenght, diameter, surface area ...) root systems of
> >plants. A possible procedure would be to produce a bitmap (by scanning or any

If you want a turnkey system specifically set up for root length & area
measurement, check into Skye Instruments' Root Analysis System. They're in
the UK; the most recent address I have for the US distributer is

PO Box 278
Perasie, PA 18944
215: 453-9484

It's very pricey though.  At one time, I believe Decagon Devices also
marketed one (PO Box 835, Pullman, WA;  509: 332-2756).

We have made similar measurements on lichens, and have found NIH's
freeware program, Image, to be adequate. There is much more to fuss with,
though, on a program not dedicated to such measurements.

Good luck -

Jeff Schloss
Biology Department
Westmont College