Summary of Mac genetics software (vs. GCG)

Dr. P.L. Taylor ptaylor at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Tue Sep 5 09:04:20 EST 1995

In article 11707 T.B.Shin <tshin at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

(after many helpful quotes regarding Mac substitutes for GCG,
and quoting pat martin)

>considering that i had to do this same evaluation for our company two
>years ago, i'd say that "LaserGene" from DNAstar (somewhere in Wisconsin,
>I think) is the clear winner, with a much more extensive set of
>general biochem/molbio utilities than any other Mac-based package
>available at the time.  I looked at many mac apps, including MacVector
>and IntelliGenetics' "GeneJockey", and while Genejockey came close
>in overall utility and flexibility, LaserGene wins out.
>we ended up sticking with GCG partly because the industrial license is
>$6,000

GeneJockey (now called GeneJockeyII) is distributed by BioSoft, not
Intelligenetics, and costs $1000.

Phil Taylor                         |        MRC Reproductive Biology Unit
mbplt at seqnet.dl.ac.uk               |        Edinburgh EH3 9EW
ptaylor at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk              |        Scotland.