Need Base Count software for Mac

mathog at mathog at
Tue Sep 5 12:24:33 EST 1995

In article <v01530500ac722a2d443a@[]>, rumpf.1 at (Robert Rumpf) writes:
>We need a program that will tell us the GC content (in percent) of a
>sequence...I downloaded GATCcount from IUBIO but it won't run on our Macs
>(we're using system 7.5).  Any ideas?  TIA...

This is pretty crude, but if you only need to do this once and a while you
can carry out the calculation with just about any word processor.

1.  Edit out all the comments and numbers on a COPY of the file.
2.  Make two copies from that: GC, AT
3.  On GC,
    global search and replace "A"->nothing
    global search and replace "T"->nothing
    use word count (it it can count characters in a document.)
    Word count only counts words and lines? -> replace G with G<return>
    run word count
4.  AT, as for GC (you figure it out!)
5.  %GC = (100 * GC)/(GC + AT)  with a calculator or long hand division.

David Mathog
mathog at