Best DNA database

francis at NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV francis at NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV
Wed Sep 13 09:56:27 EST 1995

> From: Kenneth Ramsey <tpa at texoma.com>
> Subject: Best DNA database

> I am currently using Mac Vector 4.5.1 to do DNA database searches.  I am
> using Gen Bank currently for the database.  I have been told that a
> database called Entrez is a better more complete database.  Can anyone
> who is using Entrez give me some information before I go and purchase a
> copy of this database.

Dear Kenneth,

if you want to do searches against the most up to date set of DNA or
protein sequences, I suggest you use the BLAST suite of software, this
can be done by e-mail (send 'help' to blast at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov to get
more info on this) or on the WWW (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov).

There you will also find an Entrez WWW browser.  Entrez is a search and
discovery tool wich links data from a great number of databases;
nucleic acids and proteins, related MedLine records, structure (eg from
PDB) and soon (demonstarted next week at the Genome meeting in Hilton
Head next week) a genomes divisions where we show some genomes (large
and small) present in part or whole in GenBank.  So Entrez is all of
that, and all the connections in between!  It's a discovery tool,
because the links between many of the records are presented, but need a
biologist to interpret how relevent they are ... people make lots of
discoveries with Entrez.

As I mentioned Entrez is available on WWW or as a client (which runs
under windows, mac, unix (many flavors), VMS) which you can download
from our FTP site (ncbi.nlm.nih.gov).

If you have any questions about any of our services, you can mail to
our service desk at:

info at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

regards to all,

francis