CLUSTAL -> MSF convertor

Francois Jeanmougin Jeanmougin at
Mon Apr 1 02:22:21 EST 1996

In article <JUN.96Mar29114706 at> Jun Ishikawa,
jun at writes:
>> ClustalW can write GCG's MSF format. Please check the following WWW
>I know that. But I have already aligned 8000 bp x 20 seqs.,
>which took me about a week to get the result. So, I would like
>to convert it to MSF.

easy way to do that :

run clustalw

use profile alignment

input your clustal alignment as profile

input 1 of the aligned sequences as sequence input (change the name
before !!!)

go to output format options, and toggle on gcg format

run the profile alignement (less than 5 minutes I hope)

then you have a .msf file with 1 sequence duplicated, you can remove with

		That's all folks,
Francois Jeanmougin
Bioinformatic service
IGBMC Strasbourg France