Protein modelling software for PowerMacs (was: (none))

Richard P. Grant rpgrant at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 8 15:49:32 EST 1996

In article <4kbe18$kdj at winx03.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>, krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de (Cornelius Krasel) writes:
> You might have seen on this newsgroup an announcement for the program
> "FoldIt Light" which should do what you want (I have never tried it).
> However, do not expect any program to get a sequence as input and
> spew out a structure. The protein folding problem isn't yet solved.
>
> Rasmol, mentioned by somebody else, can only render existing structures,
> but not calculate new ones. It is a (really nifty!) program for looking
> at molecules, not constructing new ones.

You are 100% correct Cornelius.  I would it were that simple to determine
structure!  There are a number of ways of predicting secondary structure, if
you have good homology with another proteins you can do this to about 80%
accuracy with a program whose name escapes me, but I can look it up for you.
It's better rated than the stuff within GCG, but maybe that dooes not say
much...

PredictProtein at embl-heidelberg.de is possibly what I'm thinkin - Sanders and
Rost did the algorithms.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

> /* "Science is the game we play with God to find out what His rules are."  */

Well, that and for paying the bills ;-)
Richard
Richard P. Grant MA DPhil         rpgrant at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Nuffield Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Oxford.
http://sable.ox.ac.uk/~lady0266   Fax +44 1 865 69141
Walk softly..... and carry an armoured tank division