MEETING on Java and MOLECULAR BIOLOGY in GERMANY

Luca Ida Giovanni TOLDO (Ph.D.) toldo at embl-heidelberg.de
Thu Apr 18 16:34:08 EST 1996

Dear Collegues,
this note is just to make aware German collegues in the neighbors
of Heidelberg that on Monday 29 April 1995 an informal gathering
of people interested in considering the potential of Java on
Molecular Biology will take place at the EMBL, organized by myself
and with the following schedule:

WHERE: EMBL Heidelberg, room 202

WHAT:
08:45-09:00 arrival and registration (distribution of material to
            participants)

09:00-09:10 Luca TOLDO (EMBL)
            "Free distributed computing for the molecular biologist,
             why Java matters" a Wellcome to the partecipants

09:10-09:55 Georg TUPAREV (EMBL)
            "Fromsubroutines to Objects, with and without NeXT..."

10:00-10:45 Martin SENGER (DKFZ)
            "JavaScript applications in molecular biology: the W2H
             project" (http://genome.dkfz-heidelberg.de/biounit/)

10:45-11:15 Luca TOLDO (EMBL)
            "JaMBW: Java based Molecular Biology Workbench: tools
are developing fast..."
(http://www.embl-heidelberg.de/~toldo/JaMBW.html")

11:15-12:30 Discussion Panel
- (present and missing)tools [visual compilers, debuggers, docs]
   for developing in Java
- converting procedural programs to Java
- experiences in c++ to Java conversion
  (http://members.aol.com/laffra)
- specific needs / problems in using Java for molbio applications
- next applets list ...

As you all see, it is a rather informal gathering, but we hope it
would be productive and also a way to put in contact individuals
with various capabilities and experiences.

It is requested that anybody which would like to come drop a email
to me so that I can arrange for sufficient copies of the docs that
will be distributed...

regards

Dr. Luca Ida Giovanni TOLDO (Ph.D.)
European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Computer Group
Heidelberg
Germany

please mail to TOLDO at EMBL-Heidelberg.DE