Applescripting Speech Recog and video player?

Bob Horton rmhorton at UCDAVIS.EDU
Thu Aug 1 22:49:27 EST 1996

Dear Netters;

Sorry if this is a duplication, but I'm not sure if my message really
got out last time...

I just got a new powermac 8500, and I've been experimenting with
voice-activated control. I'd like to be able to use a voice command to
tell the thing to capture a picture from my video camera to disk.
(Specifically, I'd like to be able to tell it to take a picture of a
fluorescent gel without having to touch, i.e., contaminate, the
computer). The problem is, the "Apple Video Player" application won't
launch when speech recognition is on, because they both want to use
the microphone, and they don't share.

So I thought I could write a script to shut off voice recognition from
the "Speech" control panel, launch  "Apple Video Player", take a
picture, shut off  "Apple Video Player", reactivate Voice Recognition,
and tell me it had finished the job.

No joy. Neither  "Apple Video Player" nor the Speech control panel
seem to be scriptable.

Any suggestions?