Sequence alignment documentation

Andy Phillips andy.phillips at
Fri Aug 16 02:21:45 EST 1996

o.gallay at wrote:
> Hi.
> Does anyone out there know of a program that will draw a frame around
> homologous segments of sequence in alignments, ie. like "prettybox" but
> without the shading?  I've often seen this sort of frame in publications, but
> everyone I know thinks this has to be done by hand.
> Please e-mail as well as post!

Genedoc (available from will output a
lineup in PICT format, which can (theoretically) be imported into drawing packages. You
can then draw your own boxes around conserved regions. In practise, however, I found
that CorelDraw6 failed to align the characters properly, and Freelance crashed on
importing large lineups. <sigh>

 Email  : andy.phillips at  : University of Bristol
 Home   : andy at     : IACR Long Ashton Research Station
 Phone  : +44-1275-549257            : Long Ashton
 Fax    : +44-1275-394281            : Bristol, BS18 9AF, UK
 WWW    :