FASTA version 3.0t6 (threaded) available

Reinhard Doelz REINHARD.DOELZ at GWA.SANDOZ.COM
Mon Aug 26 10:44:10 EST 1996

William R. Pearson wrote:

> In article <4vpko6$9ii at lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk> tjrc1 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk (Tim Cutts) writes:
>
>    In article <kjenkwd1mb.fsf at alpha0.bioch.Virginia.EDU>,
>    William R. Pearson <wrp at alpha0.bioch.virginia.edu> wrote:
>    >
>    >This version correctly threads on multiprocessors Solaris2.5.1 (a
>    >change between Solaris2.4 and 2.5.1 apparently caused the program >
>    It seems that under IRIX 5 at least, fasta has a tendency to grab 80%
>    CPU even when niced as much as possible, which is just terrible.
>
> If FASTA is using 80% of a machine when nice'd one would hope that
> there was not much else that the CPU was waiting to do.  Or "nice" is
> not working properly.
>
> Bill Pearson

You might consider non-ageing priorities on IRIX (see npri(1)). At
the
University we encountered this to be very useful as it allows to
fill
idle CPU's but keeps interactive processes running. Be aware though
that
I/O by the OS is a non-prioritized demand and always comes first.
This
implies that if you have lots of npri'ed jobs and your machine
starts
swapping the performance will again drop considerably.

Regards
Reinhard