PROMOTER SCAN II web page shut down

Ashok Aiyar aiyar at
Tue Aug 27 12:11:44 EST 1996

On 27 Aug 1996 11:05:45 GMT, Cornelius Krasel <krasel at> wrote:
>Dan S. Prestridge, Ph.D. (danp at wrote:
>> The PROMOTER SCAN II web page has been temporarily shut down.
>> An unidentified user at Tokyo University in Japan has written
>> a script to constantly submit sequences to the PROMOTER SCAN
>> web page, causing a constant load on our College computer system
>> and preventing any other users from using the PROMOTER SCAN
>> program.  This has gone on now for several days, and the only
>> way we have been able to stop it is to disable the web page.
>Dependent on the http daemon that you are running you should be
>able to block access for that specific domain without killing your
>page as a whole.

You may also wish to consider running the http daemon under xinetd, 4.4BSD
inetd, or binetd.  All three of them permit control over the number of
daemon spawns per time-unit (second/minute).  Xinetd and binetd also have
built-in host and domain access control rules.
Xinetd is archived at the COAST Security Archive accessible at:
Binetd can be found at:

Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
Department of Oncology            email: aiyar at
University of Wisconsin-Madison                  tel: (608) 262-6697