Human Genome Database

francis at NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV francis at NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV
Tue Dec 3 18:02:08 EST 1996

> From mthom0 at service1.uky.edu Tue Dec  3 17:22:13 1996

> Gerard Pujadas wrote:
> >
> >         Dear netters, I'm sorry if I've posted the mail in an unapropiate
> > list. I would like to know if the human genome sequences are available as
> > part of the GenBank or there is an specialized DataBank for them. In that
> > case, where may I ftp the document which contains the human genome.
>
> 	You can access human genomic sequences via NCBI at:
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/BLAST/
>
> 	Just enter your search sequence and choose "gss" as the database to
> search.  Alternatively, if you want to search for a specific gene or
> chromosomal location, hit the NCBI logo at the top to go to their home
> page, and there will be other search options for genbank.

Users should note that the 'gss' database is a subset of GenBank which
probably does not includes the types of sequences you are looking for.
(text from gbrel.txt when GSS was introduced attached below).  Note
that the gss division is not really (yet) that much comprehensive (only
a few thousand records).  If you want to find something, maybe better
to use the nr database.

And a protein search (protein/protein:blastp or
nucleotide_translation/protein:blastx) is always more sensitive than a
nucleotide/nucleotide:blastn search (specially if you are looking for
similarities across species)

cheers,

f.