GDE on DEC Alpha

Jose R. Valverde txomsy at
Wed Dec 4 14:29:18 EST 1996

In article <E1vxG0.451 at>,
	bshomer at (Benny Shomer) writes:
> Andrew Gentles (pdzajg at wrote:
>: Has anybody succeeded in mutilating the source code of GDE enough to get
>: it to compile and run on a DEC alpha under Digital Unix (i.e. OSF/1) ?
> Andrew,
> Regretfully, you can't do it. GDE relies on the xview libraries which are
> SUNOS specific and are not available for other platforms (as far as I
> know).
> Regards,
> Benny.

	Hi Benny, glad to hear you...
	Just one correction: xview source code is available and has been ported
to a number of platforms. You can run SUN's open-windows on those and hence
you hsould be able to run GDE too. Among them and notably, are ultrix, Linux
and *BSD.

	Note that I haven't had time to try to compile GDE on one of those, but
in theory it should work.

	My last knowledge though was that GDE's GUI didn't run in DEC/Unix...

Jose R. Valverde