Helix-turn-helix software

Peter Rice pmr at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Feb 14 11:13:30 EST 1996

In article <4fso8s$387 at hobbes.cc.uga.edu> crawford at bscr.uga.edu writes:
>	   I am looking for a program that can calculate the
>   probability of a protein sequence to contain a
>   helix-turn-helix motif using the method of Dodd
>   and Egan (1990, Nucleic Acids Research 18: 5019)
>   or a similar method. I would prefer a public domain
>   Mac program, but others would due as well.

If you have access to the GCG (Wisconsin) Sequence Analysis Package,
you can install EGCG and use the program (called, not surprisingly,
HELIXTURNHELIX) which does this.

There was also an earlier Dodd & Egan paper, in 1987 (J Mol Biol
194:557-664) with a less well defined scoring matrix so check the
dates in any program you try.
Peter Rice                           | Informatics Division
E-mail: pmr at sanger.ac.uk             | The Sanger Centre
Tel: (44) 1223 494967                | Hinxton Hall, Hinxton,
Fax: (44) 1223 494919                | Cambs, CB10 1RQ