FACS/H-P -floppy-> Mac/PC driver?

Richard R. Hardy hardy at mighty.fccc.edu
Tue Jan 2 13:10:05 EST 1996

In article <30E584E8.456E at biomed.med.yale.edu>, "David R. Johnson"
<johnson at biomed.med.yale.edu> wrote:

>Dear Netters,
>   We have a flow cytometer that works very well (Becton-Dickenson
>FACSort) connected to a Hewlett-Packard Computer that runs an
>ancient OS and doesn't work very well.  For example, only 80 files
>can fit on a floppy, regardless of how small they are (1 parameter
>analysis of 2000 cells is only a few Kb).
>   B-D sells a Mac system for the FACS, but it costs a bundle
>($20k).
>   Does anyone have (or know of) a floppy driver that works on a DOS
>machine (Windows 3.1) or, preferably, a Mac?  This would allow
>importation of FACS data into Excel, etc., and would stop the
>proliferation of H-P formatted floppies around the lab.
>
>thanks in advance (also for any corrections if my understanding of
>the solution is flawed!)
>-Dave

If you have the money, a permanent solution that would let you use a Mac
for everything and dump that HP is to get the new-ish BD CellQuest
upgrade.  This is hardware/software that replaces the HP completely...
Unfortunately, very pricey.
Richard R. Hardy                       Member, Institute for Cancer Research
Fox Chase Cancer Center                Tel:    (215) 728-2463
7701 Burholme Ave.                     FAX:    (215) 728-2412
Philadelphia, PA 19111                 E-MAIL: RR_HARDY at fccc.edu