FASTA-like program available by ftp?

Francis Ouellette francis at BORDUAS.NLM.NIH.GOV
Tue Jan 16 17:27:42 EST 1996

> Morten Andersen (moan at SKYDANCER.BMC.UU.SE) wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a database search program such as FASTA which can be
> > downloaded to my own computer, and use my own local databases?
> >
> > I have BLAST already, but want something that emphasises on whole-length
> > (protein) sequences and allows introduction of gaps for optimal alignment
> > instead of BLAST's HSPs (high-scoring SEGMENT pairs).

> From: krasel at (Cornelius Krasel)
> fasta is available via anonymous ftp somewhere from the University of
> Virginia, I think.

correct ...

Organiz.: University of Virginia / USA
Address : (
Programs: Name=FASTA; Desc=database search program; OS=UNIX, DOS and McIntosh;
          Directory= /pub/fasta
Contact : William Pearson; wrp at
Status  : Tested (2 Jul 1995).

the full document where this comes from is available at: