Which platform?

Jim Naylor jnaylor at southwind.net
Tue Jul 2 02:42:12 EST 1996

In article <4r8laj$nc0 at nntp1.best.com>, jquinn at nntp.best.com (Greg) wrote:

> Scott Delinger (Scott.Delinger at ualberta.ca) wrote:
> : In article <31C977BB.1AA7 at ibex.ca>, Achim Recktenwald <achim at ibex.ca> wrote:
>
> : <snip>
> : >The Mac might be easier to use, but you pay ~2x as much as for the same
> : power on an IBM-clone.
>
> : Absolute rot. I have a Mac on my desk, for $3000 that the equivalent PC
> : would cost at least $5000. I think you forgot to put a 3 in the
> : denominator of your ~2x (~2x/3).
>
> Maybe Canada has real price breaks on Macs, but I doubt it. The big
> drawback with the mac is currently the operating system, which simply
> doesn't hold a candle to Win95, letalone NT. Not only is the Mac OS
> incapable of true pre-emptive multitasking, but it's handling of virtual
> memory is terrible (ie. non-existant). If this wasn't bad enough, unless
> extremely well set with tons of memory (eg. 32+), they can frequently
> crash. There are extremely good reasons for buying a Mac, principally for
> its interface, which a lot of people have grown up with (leastways here in
> the US). Also, computer illiterates find them easier to deal with. No one
> with any experience in this area would suggest that they are cost
> effective in terms of computing power or hardware costs. That is simply
> not the case.

I have rarely seen such absolutely ignorant comments! Each and every
disadvantage you impute to the Mac is true of Windoze95 instead, with the
sole exception of pre-emptive multitasking, which most users wouldn't
recognize if it bit them, which it usually does on the MacOS copy,
Windoze95. If your definition of a computer illiterate is someone who
wants to get real work done without the machine getting in his face, then
sign me up! But I was developing utilities and embedded system software
for the original DOS version in 1982 in a proprietary  coprocessor-based
LAN file server. When Mac II was born, I quickly decided life is too short
to mess with MS. As for cost effectiveness, why do you suppose Lockheed
Martin Astronautics just purchased three thousand Power Computing Mac
clones? And you might as well forget plug and play on Windoze--if you need
it, get a Mac; you get more for your money in every way these days.

Jim Naylor                             jnaylor at southwind.net
Wichita KS