Which platform?

Greg jquinn at nntp.best.com
Wed Jul 3 14:16:20 EST 1996

Ashok Aiyar (aiyar at ebv.oncology.wisc.edu) wrote:
: On 3 Jul 1996 14:15:15 GMT, Greg <jquinn at nntp.best.com> wrote:

: >MacOS does not handle virtual memory,

: Surely this is something you *believe* and not something you *know*.
: I *know* that every version of MacOS that I have used from 7.1 up
: has supported virtual memory, without adding any external products.

: >without the use of a third party product (RAM DOUBLER),

: And .... RamDoubler does not create or use virtual memory in the
: usual sense of the term.

: I don't particularly care for any of Apple's or Microsoft's operating
: systems; this thread however is not served by any of us relaying
: incorrect information.

Quite right, too. Clearly an error on my part based on my lack of Mac OS
familiarity. Duly retracted and hopefully an end to this thread. A timely
reminder to me that it's not a good idea to write about matters that I am
not 100% familiar with, since it's both misleading and unhelpful. Point
taken. I stick by my general thrust of argument however that the Mac does
not handle virtal memory as well as '95 and that the Mac OS is less stable
using a range of different softwares.