Ques: how to print postscript files? (Win3.1 based)

David Womble dwomble at cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Thu Jul 4 18:21:56 EST 1996

Tim Cutts (Zoology) (tjrc1 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk) wrote:
: In article <4rgob3$f78 at news.orst.edu>, Don Chen <chend at ucs.orst.edu> wrote:
: >files are funky and I would like a "pretty" tree.  We have a
: >Windows-based system with a HP Inkjet printer.  Is there a way to
: >print postscript files with this set up?  And what are Newkirk files?

: You can print PostScript files on any graphics-capable printer using
: the free interpreter GhostScript.  You should be able to find this on
: most large ftp sites.  It has a friendlier front-end called GhostView.
[snips above]
Yes, GhostScript etc. do work, but they are bulky, slow, and not easy to
deal with for most people.  My suggestion is to just get a PostScript
printer (some of the higher end HP Inkjets are).  Your department only
needs to buy one and put it on the network, so easy with Win95 or
WFWG 3.11.  Works well with Macs, too, if you have a few extra dollars for
a JetDirect (for HP) or other ethernet card for the printer.  If you
have a UNIX or other type of higher end network, that works great for
both also, but usually requires an administrator type person to set it
up for you.

--
David D. Womble                       Phone:  313-577-2374
Center for Molecular Medicine and     Fax:    313-577-6200
Genetics, Wayne State University      E-mail: dwomble at cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
5047 Gullen Mall, Detroit, MI 48202   http://cmmg.biosci.wayne.edu/