Ques: how to print postscript files? (Win3.1 based)

James O. McInerney PhD j.mcinerney at nhm.ac.uk
Fri Jul 5 03:16:54 EST 1996

Don Chen wrote:

> I would like to print out partial trees from the Ribosomal Database
> Project.  The options are postscript, newkirk and text.  The text
> files are funky and I would like a "pretty" tree.  We have a
> Windows-based system with a HP Inkjet printer.  Is there a way to
> print postscript files with this set up?  And what are Newkirk files?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Don

Don,

I think you have gotten many answers concerning the postscript stuff.
Your question about 'Newkirk' tree formats (actually it's 'Newick' format
apparently named after a restaurant or bar in New Hampshire).

Very simply...suppose two sequences/taxa/molecules/whatever are the most
closely related in your dataset, then you can represent this fact thus:

(A,B)

 \/

say also that their closest relative is sequence C, then we might have a
Newick tree like this:

((A,B),C)

  \/   /
   \  /
    \/

and finally, taxa D and E are each other's closest relatives..sooooo

(((A,B),C),(D,E))

   \/   /   \/
    \  /    /
     \/    /
      \   /
       \ /

The exact details of this 'standard' have yet to be standardised, so
there are many flavours implemented in different programs (with branch
lengths, comments, bootstrap support etc.).

There are programs that transfer this information into nice pretty trees.
The PHYLIP package has drawing programs:

http://evolution.genetics.washington.edu/  (I think?!)

Rod page in Glasgow has produced Treeview (Mac, Windows)

http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/software.html#Tree viewing

Don Gilbert in Indiana has produced TreeDraw Deck (I think the kudos goes
to him, although I think also the program is based on PHYLIP code???)

ftp://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/

Happy treedrawing,

james
--
---
Dr. James O. McInerney Ph.D.        Phone/Voicemail: +44 171 938 9247
Senior Scientific Officer,          email:j.mcinerney at nhm.ac.uk
The Natural History Museum,
Cromwell Road,
London SW7 5BD