Marked alignments... how?

Francois Jeanmougin pingouin at
Tue Jul 16 10:16:10 EST 1996

In article <4sgdnc$4cb at>,
	adriank at (Adrian Kornhauser) writes:
>Hi! I'm new at this, so I hope it works
>I have seen in some articles, multiple sequence alignements that have
>a simbol like "*,."  in the positions where the amino acids are
>conserved or where all subtitutions are of aminoacids with the same

	This is the output format from clustalw, the greater and best
multiple alignment programm (ok...IMHO).
	find it at :

PS: their is an online help on clustalw, and the way to make it work
properly with gcg sequences at our site :

I have also rewritten tofasta to make it read the Begin: and End: from
a GCG list. If you need that also, let me know...
tofasta or topir are necessary to make clustalw run with GCG.

Francois Jeanmougin
Service de bioinformatique / bioinformatics service
BP 163
67404 Illkirch France
tel : (33) 88 65 32 71
e-mail : jeanmougin at