PC SequenceAnalysis Software wanted

Don Gilbert gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu
Tue Jul 30 18:27:36 EST 1996

In article <4tlvfa$7g8 at celebrian.otago.ac.nz>,
Nick C.K. Heng <hengnck at sanger.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
>I'm still unable to get your Windows version to work stably. It crashes
>with most commands and I can't exit without using Ctrl-Alt-Delete to
>shut down the SeqPup task.

Unfortunately I lack the time and resources to solve all such
problems.  I try, but cannot provide the help that a one expects
from a commercial or a funded software package.

A number of people have reported that the Win3 and the
WIn95/Nt versions of seqpup 0.6 are reliable enough to use.  To have
a clue to where problems arise on specific computers, I need
details such as which computer model, how much memory is installed,
what version of the operating system is installed, etc.

Even with such info, I may be only able to suggest you try it on other
computers, and if it works on one but not another, compare the two
to see how they may differ in such things as system extensions, OS version,
etc.  With today's complex computers & software, even commercial
software runs into problems on various systems, for reasons that are
difficult to determine.

In cases where you find many problems using seqpup, and I haven't any
good solutions to suggest, you are likely better off looking for
another software product.   I wish I could provide a product that
ran well on all computers -- maybe that will happen in a year or two.

-- Don
-- d.gilbert--biocomputing--indiana u--bloomington--gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu