In a P.C. you can have UNIX and MS-DOS Windows at the same time.

Rob Miller rmiller at
Tue Jun 18 07:36:24 EST 1996

Hi Matthew,

 (mailed direct as well - don't know *how* slow that SA connection will be :-)

demeler at (Borries Demeler) wrote:
>In article <4pt80r$atb at>,
>Adrian Kornhauser <adriank at> wrote:
>>flyon at (Matthew Lyon) wrote:
>>You can run Linux on a P.C. linux is actuallt UNIX for P.C. Very
>>stable, loads of support from other users and IT'S FREE.
>>>   I'm a freshman biochem. major trying to decide what route to go, PC or
>>>PowerMac. I only have about four grand to spend - Which platform has a
>>>better selection of software that would for me? I'm on an old borrowed Mac
>I would like to second this opinion. I am running DOS, Linux, and Windows
>all on the same platform for 3 years now. And I am *EXTREMELY* happy with it.

I too would second this opinion, although I note that the Mac/PC described
by another poster (Martin Pion) should also run linux happily as all that's
needed is something with iapx (Intel) architecture.  I purchased a 486 pc
while a grad student in biochem and ran 386BSD (another freeware PC Unix
clone); the machine was perfect for developing software at home, then
was easy to move over to `real machines' faculty would let me use at school
when I had all the bugs worked out.  My experience setting up my own Unix
systems has proved extremely valuable in both of my postdocs as well.

Robert T. Miller, Ph.D.               The doors of learning shall be open

South African National Bioinformatics Institute

University of the Western Cape
Dept. of Biochemistry / Private Bag / X17 / Bellville 7535 / South Africa

Tel +27 21 959 2264
email rmiller at