Linux or Unix for multiple sequence analysis?

Uwe Baumert tiedtke at
Fri Jun 21 06:34:42 EST 1996

In article <31C95B2B.78A5 at>, Gabriel Zwart
<zwart at> wrote:

> Dear netters,
> Linux or Unix
> Genetic data environment?
> After some strugle we managed to install some nice nucleotide sequence
> analysis programs on a LINUX machine (pentium). We are interested in
> analysis of rather large numbers of sequences over say 500-4500 positions
> (16S/18S rRNA. That is, multiple alignments, probe and primer searching,
> phylogeny (Neighbour-joining, Parsimony, Max likelihood?).

Which programs do you use? And where got you them from?

Uwe Baumert

Uwe Baumert
Institute for General Zoology and Genetics
University of Muenster                        Tel.: +49 251 834675
Schlossplatz 5                                 Fax: +49 251 834723
D-48149 Muenster, Germany          e-mail: baumert at