Program for working with sequences

A. John Watson watson_j at bms.com
Wed Mar 27 17:31:15 EST 1996

In article <4i8svj$5qs at eldborg.rhi.hi.is>, eiriksig at rhi.hi.is (Eirikur
Sigurdsson) wrote:

> Hi.
> Could anyone give me the names of good programs for using on
> sequences.  I don't mind if it is commercial or shareware.  What
> is most important is that it be good in aligning sequencing data.
> Optional would be plasmid drawing, finding secondary structure,
> short repeats etc.

If you mean managing sequencing projects (ie., finding contigs of multiple
sequences), then I recommend Sequencher from Genecodes.  Otherwise, the
MegAlign program from DNAStar seems to be OK for DNA and protein sequence
files (runs on MAcs, don't know about PC's or Unix/Vax).  Or you could use
the various GCG programs that do alignments and fits.

AJW

John Watson
Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.
watson_j at bms.com