WWW interfaces to GCG

Luca Ida Giovanni TOLDO (Ph.D.) toldo at embl-heidelberg.de
Thu May 2 14:25:11 EST 1996

Cristopher Botka wrote:

> I am looking for any info about WWW interfaces to GCG.  I've already seen the
> ones at http://genome.dkfz-heidelberg.de/w2hdemo/index.html and
> http://ben.vub.ac.be  I'd appreciate pointers to source, demos or URLs if
> you've got them.  Respond by email please.  I'll gladly to post a summary of
> what I get to the group.
>
> Thanks much.
>
> CWB
>
> botka at cgl.ucsf.edu
Those are the only two WWW Interfaces to GCG which exist.
W2H is based on JavaScript and is the work of Marting SENGER
WWW2GCG is instead "plain" c and perl programs and is wht work of Marc
COLET.

Each of them had advantages and disadvantages.

WWW2GCG is a joint project of the EMBNet.ORG and as such is sponsored
by the EU. Its use is encouraged by EMBNet nodes.

W2H is a 2 months old project but inspite of that it decreases
considerably network connections compared with WWW2GCG.

I have used the WWW2GCG since long time, but I am also in tight
contact with W2H developers, and as soon as one of the two will be
really fully stable I will then use them for "production purposes"
for the EMBL-Heidelberg (where I manage the GCG and the central
WWW facilities).

None of them is yet at my opinion fully stable, unfortunately.

None of them is yet fully capable of offering a full fledge service
as the WPI interface does, unfortunately.

If you have interest in WWW-based tools for doing GCG-like (and more)
operations, please return me your feedback on the Java Based Molecular
Biology Workbench that I am developing / summing ... at the url:
http://www.embl-heidelberg.de/~toldo/JaMBW.html

regards

Dr. Luca Ida Giovanni TOLDO (Ph.D.)
European Molecular Biology Laboratory