Signal peptide sequence

Ned Mantei mantei at
Fri May 3 01:47:25 EST 1996

In article <4mc0hj$3oh at woodstock.socs.uts.EDU.AU>, Slavica Masina
<smasina at> wrote:

> Does anybody know any methods, preferably recent, for the identification
> of protein secretory sequences and for prediciting the site of cleavage
> between a signal sequence and the mature exported protein. I currently
> have the paper of G. von Heljne (1986) Nucleic acids research, 14(11),
> but I would prefer computer program that performs the analysis.

In the University of Indiana biology archive, at
in the section on Macintosh programs there is a (Macintosh) program called
AnalyseSignalase that applies the von Heijne method for eukaryotes (I know
because I wrote the program). I also have a version for prokaryotes. There
are surely PC versions available, but I don't know where. There may have
been neural net approaches to this problem, which you might find by
looking through CABIOS.

Ned Mantei
Dept. of Neurobiology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
CH-8093 Zurich, Switzerland
mantei at   Fax: +41-1-633-1046