What kind of software is this, please give me advise!

Susan Archer sarcher at metronet.com
Tue May 14 11:31:37 EST 1996

Yesterday I received messages from both "wizkid" (Mike Tran) at Sirius
and Peter Beruk at the SPA.  They both elected to reply to me offline
rather than pursue what I had hoped would be a provocative and
informative discussion on this newsgroup.  Mike continued to demonstrate
elementary behavior so I'll spare you his reply.  Peter essentially said
that, while disturbing, nothing could be done unless a report of
software piracy was received on an individual or company.

My response to Mike at Sirius was to get and use his own account so that
he can exercise the right to free speech on his own dime and using his
own name and not on behalf of the computer services company who made the
unfortunate decision to hire him. That would give a clear path for
well-deserved flaming.

Can anyone tell me why would someone post a message on a newsgroup that
can be read by any one of tens of millions of people around the world
and yet become indignant if the message is brought to the attention of a
specific professional association, or the firm paying for their access?
Further, why would such a person post a message in favor of stealing
software on a newsgroup designed for people who make their living with
software and _not_ expect a negative response?  It's curious.

Susan Archer