Molscript: one strand - two colors?

Geoff Barton gjb at bioch.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 28 11:06:51 EST 1996

Anton Gluck wrote:

> This is what I'm trying to do: I want to show the different effects
> mutations of amino acids have by using different colors in a
> Molscript secondary structure representation. And here is the problem:
> how can I give different regions of the _same_ beta strand different
> colors? With 'set planecolour' I can introduce different colors, but
> they are true then for one whole secondary structure element. Helices
> and turns can be broken up into consecutive pieces that are colored
> differently without messing up the view (i.e. ---- turns into --|--),
> but breaking up a strand gives ==>|==> instead of ==|==>. Did anybody
> successfully try to do this? Any help or advise would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Anton Gluck

As far as I know this is not possible in the standard molscript, but
it is something that many would like to do!!

Robert Esnouf from Dave Stuart's group here has significantly
enhanced molscript to allow very flexible colouring options.
I don't know the status of this version of the program.  At one
stage I thought Per Kraulis was going to merge the sources with
his own developments.   You might try emailing Dr. Robert Esnouf
as ROBERT at BIOP.OX.AC.UK and asking, the changes he has made are
extremely useful and deserve a wider audience.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey J. Barton, Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics, University of
Oxford,