?? Kinetics Software - Post

Charlie Schick schick at reena.tch.harvard.edu
Fri Nov 29 13:54:04 EST 1996

This is a tad specialized. I was interested in the software that people use
to process (fit) their data for enzyme kinetic analysis (from linear
velocity calculation to non-linear regression).  A survey of an enzyme
mailing list revealed the top program was a PC-only program.  When I spoke
to the author he said:
What would it take to get a Mac version [of Grafit]?

This is an interesting point. I am not totally convinced that the Mac
market is strong enough to bother with. There is a good academic following,
mainly in the US, but almost no Macs outside University labs.
Unfortunately, it is your industrial colleagues who are more likely to part
with their hard-earned  $'s. The other problem with Macs is the split
caused by the PowerPC -- to divide a small market share into two pieces was
a strange marketing decision...

However, the next release of GraFit is written in such a way that
cross-compilation to Mac is at least a possibility. But I don't intend even
to contemplate this until the PC version is finished.

I've already made an initial reply to some of his platform concerns.  What
I need is not more why Mac is better but what is the prevalence of the Mac
in the labs that do enzyme kinetics, show him a profit can be made. He
seems to be open enough.

Please e-mail me. I will post a summary if there is enough interest.

Charles Schick
Children's Hospital Boston

Charlie Schick
schick at reena.tch.harvard.edu
Bark if you use Cyberdog! Cyberdog is the future.
This message was created and sent using the Cyberdog Mail System