Staden for Mac/PC?

michael.baron at michael.baron at
Fri Oct 4 13:38:52 EST 1996

Dr. Duncan Clark wrote:
> In article <530dgf$ptg at>, Don Gilbert
> <gilbertd at> writes
> >My impression though is
> >that Macintoshes remain the most widely used, and despite recent
> >problems at Apple computer, Macs remain a very viable system that
> >users of them find compelling.  Wintel systems are catching up somewhat.
> That may be the case in the US but here in the UK I know umpteen
> academic labs with PC's but can only think of the odd one with Mac's.
> just an observation.
> This may be because many UK institutions are pressured to follow an
institute policy, set by non-users. Our own site, like many, has
to follow the official BBSRC line of using Wintel machines, despite the
privately expressed preference of some of the IT staff for the MacOS
platform. Such a policy probably originated years ago, simply on the case
that a DOS-box was cheaper than a Mac, and the people making the decision
had secretaries to use the machines (;-)). Once such policies are made,
they tend to be set in stone.

Just *my* 2p's worth.

Michael D. Baron
michael.baron at