Linux mol biol/biochem/etc software - compiling fortran apps

Ashok Aiyar aiyar at ebv.oncology.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 7 14:57:24 EST 1996

On 06 Oct 1996 11:33:59 -0600, zinc <zinc at zifi.genetics.utah.edu> wrote:

>1) is FORTRAN still better than C for this sort of thing or is it just
>   a result of many xtallographers being familiar with FORTRAN?

Fortran is just what a lot of people learnt.  C is a relatively new
language. (Yes, I consider 20 years to be relatively new).

>2) more importantly, i would really like to hear success stories from
>   anyone who has compiled FORTRAN code under Linux, especially the
>   type of software mentioned in the subject.  if you know it, please
>   tell me what you had to do to get it to work and what your system
>   configuration is.

I haven't had particularly good luck with f2c, somewhat better luck
with g77.  There is one really good commercial Fortran 77 compiler
for Linux (from Absoft).  There are a couple packages that don't
go anywhere with f2c or g77 that do compile with Absoft's compiler.

Later,
Ashok
--
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
Department of Oncology            email: aiyar at ebv.oncology.wisc.edu
University of Wisconsin-Madison                  tel: (608) 262-6697