Molecular Modeling programs on different platforms - table correct?

Uwe Baumert baumert at
Mon Sep 16 07:33:20 EST 1996

In article <51cnf2$mr0 at>, mathog at

>              MIPS      ---DEC Alpha----         Intel
> What         SGI       DU            WNT      Windows   GraphicsType
> Biosym       Yes       No*           No*           No*       GL
> Grasp        Yes       No            No            No        GL
> MidasPlus    Yes       No            No            No        GL
> molmol       Yes       Yes           No            No        X11
> O            Yes       No            No            No        GL
> rasmol       Yes       Yes           ?             Yes       X11/Windows
> Setor        Yes       No            No            No        GL
> VMD          Yes       No            No            No        GL
> XtalView     Yes       Yes           No            No        GL/X11
> * Separately licensed "Axxess" product lets Biosym run as an X11 client.
> Kind of amazing to me that more of these have not been ported to other
> platforms, for instance Alpha/Linux or WNT.  Looks like the only really
> portable one is Rasmol.  In terms of horsepower the SGIs are at least twice
> as expensive as these alternatives.  I guess the ports will only come when
> the grants start coming back marked with "buy cheaper platforms".

Well, at least molmol, rasmol, and XtalView are available for Linux.

Uwe Baumert
Institute for General Zoology and Genetics
University of Muenster                        Tel.: +49 251 834675
Schlossplatz 5                                 Fax: +49 251 834723
D-48149 Muenster, Germany          e-mail: baumert at