Molecular Modeling programs on different platforms - table correct?

francis at NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV francis at NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV
Mon Sep 16 16:08:46 EST 1996

> From baumert at uni-muenster.de Mon Sep 16 17:01:29 1996

> In article <51cnf2$mr0 at gap.cco.caltech.edu>, mathog at seqaxp.bio.caltech.edu
> wrote:
>
> >              MIPS      ---DEC Alpha----         Intel
> > What         SGI       DU            WNT      Windows   GraphicsType
> >
> > Biosym       Yes       No*           No*           No*       GL
> > Grasp        Yes       No            No            No        GL
> > MidasPlus    Yes       No            No            No        GL
> > molmol       Yes       Yes           No            No        X11
> > O            Yes       No            No            No        GL
> > rasmol       Yes       Yes           ?             Yes       X11/Windows
> > Setor        Yes       No            No            No        GL
> > VMD          Yes       No            No            No        GL
> > XtalView     Yes       Yes           No            No        GL/X11
> >
> > * Separately licensed "Axxess" product lets Biosym run as an X11 client.
> >
> > Kind of amazing to me that more of these have not been ported to other
> > platforms, for instance Alpha/Linux or WNT.  Looks like the only really
> > portable one is Rasmol.  In terms of horsepower the SGIs are at least twice
> > as expensive as these alternatives.  I guess the ports will only come when
> > the grants start coming back marked with "buy cheaper platforms".
>
> Well, at least molmol, rasmol, and XtalView are available for Linux.

Entrez/Cn3D works on PC's, Mac, Unix (lots of flavors, Linux included).
Source is available as well.

see:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Structure/cn3d.html

francis